Trekking Places in Pune
Rajmachi Trek, Sinhagad Trek, Raireshwar Trek, Korigad Fort Trek , Lohagad Trek, Kalsubai Peak Trek and Vasota Fort Trek, Torna Trek, Rajgad Trek, Visapur Fort Trek, Shivneri Trek, Lonavala and Vichitragad Fort Trek.
The city of Pune is not only famous for its distinct cultural heritage portraying the Maratha culture, but also it is one of the amazing getaways for adventure enthusiasts. Pune showcases a plethora of history but in the modern times has emerged to be the perfect amalgamation of present and the past. The vivid landscapes have made the city of Pune ideal for adventurous excursions and what is better than a trekking expedition to be flabbergasted by the sheer natural beauty of Pune.
With the Sahyadri Mountain Ranges extending to the city, an array of the best trekking tours in Pune are for adventure aficionados to fulfill their dreams. The infinite expanses of verdant greenery in the backdrop of quaint hills make it an ideal time to spend some time in the lap of nature in its exceptionally sentimental ambience. The city of Pune is encompassed by rolling hills and lavish green forests which call for one trekking excursion to relax and unwind in the company of nature.
If you are a first timer and wishing to flex your muscles then there many easy treks near Pune. The pleasant and romantic climate of Pune only adds to the captivating feeling which comes as you embark on a trek through the lush green forests. Trekking near Pune can be enjoyed in the time durations from a few hours to a couple of days. However the enthralling journey of hiking is one of the most memorable activities that will let you enjoy the real charm of the beautiful city of Pune. To know more, check out our selection of the best trekking tours in Pune.
People Also Ask About Trekking in Pune
What are the best trekking places in and near Pune?1. Vasota Fort Trek: Pleased at an altitude of 1171 m above the sea level, Vasota Fort is located in Bamnoli village of Satara district. The overall trek to the top of this fort can be completed within a single day.
On your way to the top, you will get to enjoy some of the most beautiful sceneries of Shivsagar Lake. You will also get a chance to pass through various steep hills and rocky pathways, making it one of the best places for trekking in Pune. Once you reach the fort you can continue trekking further towards Nageshwar cave which will take another two hours.
Location: Bamnoli, Satara District, Maharashtra
2. Lohagad Fort: Located in one of the very famous hill stations of Khandala, Lohagarh fort trek is one of the easiest treks one can enjoy around Pune. The trek to this fort can be easily covered within 3 to 4 hours.
This historic structure is preached on the top of the hill and the path of which is plain and well-managed, without any steep or rocky pathways. If you are a nature lover then the trail of this trek will offer you some of the most scenic views of colourful flora and fauna. Once you reach the top, you will be delighted with some of the most exhilarating panoramas of the surrounding hills.
Location: Khandala, Lonavala, Maharashtra
3. Raigad Fort Trek: If you're looking for a perfect weekend getaway from Pune and wishing to indulge in some thrilling adventures, then make sure that you opt for a trekking session to Raigad Fort.
Being one of the best places for trekking in Pune, this place is flocked by an array of adventure enthusiasts and nature lovers. The trek takes around four hours to be complete and is considered to have a medium level of difficulty making it one of the best places for trekking in Pune.
Location: Katraj, Maharashtra
4. Kalsubai Peak Trek: Located at an altitude of 5400 feet from the sea level, the Kalsubai Peak is famous for offering some of the most beautiful views of the valley around it. To enjoy a trekking session to this peak at its best, it is advised to take two days to complete it and camp for one night.
Once you reach the top you can easily enjoy the commanding scenery of nearby forts and the beautiful Bhandardara Dam. A trek to Kalsubai Peak is one of the most difficult treks near Pune.
Location: Baari Village, near Bhandardara, Maharashtra
5. Sinhagad Fort Trek: Dating back to around 2000 years, Sinhagad Fort is built on the top of a hill and overlooks the beautiful mountain range of Sahyadris. Translating to the “fort of the lion”, this fort houses a rich history.
The trek to this fort is comparatively easy and takes just an hour to get complete. On your way to the top you will come across various beautiful backdrops for your memorable pictures and it one of the best places for trekking in Pune.
Location: Sinhagad Ghat Road, Thoptewadi, Maharashtra
6. Rajmachi Trek: One of the very famous locations for trekking near Pune, Rajmachi Fort is located near Lonavala. Standing at an altitude of 2710 feet from the sea level you will have to cover a distance of around 3 km to reach the top of this fort.
Once you reach the top you can gaze into the uninterrupted views of the silent Valley in front of you and the hills standing guard.
Location: Udhewadi Village, Lonavala, Maharashtra
7. Tikona Fort Trek: One of the best locations for trekking near Pune, the fortress of Tikona is a famous spot among nature lovers and photographers. Taking around 4 to 5 hours to get complete, this one is an easy trek and can be easily enjoyed by everyone.
The path to the top is even and you do not have to traverse through the rocky pathways. Once you reach the top, you can glance into the splendid scenery of the nature around you and it os one of the best trekking places near Pune.
Location: Lonavala, Maharashtra
Which are some of the easy treks near Pune?1. Korigad Trek: Taking around just 1 to 2 hours to get completed, the Korigad Trek is surely one of the easiest treks near Pune. Covering a distance of just 2 Kilometres, anyone can enjoy this route without any worry.
2. Rohida Trek: If you are one of those who has never yet tried trekking, then you can start with the Rohida Trek. This short and easy trekking in Pune will offer you some of the most beautiful views and the much required thrill.
3. Tikona Fort Trek: Taking around 4 hours to get complete, this is a basic trek and can be enjoyed by anyone. If you are looking for a weekend getaway which is adventurous as well then this is the spot for you and making it one of the best places for trekking in Pune.
4. Rajmachi Trek: Preached at a height of 2710 feet, this trek will make you cover a distance of around 3 kilometers. Getting done within an hour, one can easily enjoy this without feeling tired
What are some of the famous forts near Pune for trekking?1. Hadsar Trek: Standing at a height of 3200 feet from the sea level, this trek will take you towards a famous fort known for the massive tunnels and pathways it has and it is one of the best trekking places in Pune.
2. Chavand Trek: Being a part of the famous five forts around Pune, this adventure will take you towards the most splendid sceneries of the wide valley in front of you.
3. Korigad Trek: Located on a hilltop, the Korigad Fort required a trek for 2 kilometres to reach its vicinity. Inside the fort, you can find various small ponds and tunnels.
4. Tikona Trek: Once a magnificent fort guarded by the high standing hills, the Tikona fort has been turned into ruins now and has become a go to destination for nature lovers and photography enthusiasts and it is one of the best trekking places near Pune.
5. Rajmachi Trek: Taking just one hour to get complete, one can easily trek to the base of Rajmachi Fort. Adding much more thrill, you can also choose to trek to its top and enjoy a blissful session of camping there.
When is the best time to visit Pune for trekking?
From Monsoon to winter is the best season for trekking. There are quite a few options for trekking in winter in the Sahyadris and the Baglan mountain range.
Treks are less challenging as the weather is clear and you do not get tired soon as opposed to what would happen in the summer season.
Which are some famous monsoon treks near Pune?
The most famous monsoon treks near Pune are:1. Purandar Fort: It stands 4472 ft above sea level and is located near Narayanpur. The difficulty level is Medium. It will take approximately 2 1/2 hours to reach to the top.
2. Rajmachi: It is one of the most beautiful forts in Lonavala. During monsoons, the road that goes to the base village is in a very bad condition and hence winter is the ideal time to visit. Rajmachi is highly recommended for small groups and it is one of the best trekking places in Pune.
3. Tikona Fort: It is a hill fort located near Kamshet [Maval region] in Maharashtra. Height from sea level is 3500 feet. Its twin fort is called Tung . It is an easy trek andtakes 1 1/2 hour to reach to the top of the fort. Some parts are almost vertical as the fort is triangular in shape.
4. Kalsubai: Kalsubai (5400 ft.) is the highest peak of the mountain range of Sahyadri. It is one of the most enjoyable trek in the rainy season which offers views of the breathtaking lush green valleys, a walk through clouds, roaring winds andseries of waterfalls is all packed into one. On the top you can see a small temple of Kalsubai.
5. Korigad fort: Korigad Fort is located about 20 Kms away from Lonavala, in Pune district. There are two routes to reach to the top of Korigad, one from village PethShahpur and other one is from Ambavane village. Route from PethShahpur is easier than the route from Ambavane village. We have to climb nearly 510 steps while going from PethShahpur route. The route starting from the Bhairavnath Temple at PethShahpur takes us to the top within 45-50 minutes and you enter through the Ganesh gate.
6. Lohagarh: The “Iron fort” is one of the many hill forts of ChatrapatiShivajiMaharaj. It divides the basins of the Indrayani and Pavna and is situated on a side range of the Sahyadris. The Visapur fort is located on its eastern side. The four large gates of Lohagarh are still in good condition and reasonably intact and it is one of the best trekking near Pune.
What things should I carry for trekking in Pune?
The following things will be handy and are recommended for trekking:-- Backpack
- Water bottle
- Extra Pair of clothes.
- Ready to eat food, like plum cakes, chocolate bar, some snacks & biscuits etc
- Electoral or Glucon D powder
- Personal medicines
- Sun protection cap
- Torch with spare set of batteries
- Light weight towel
- Sleeping bag in case of an overnight trek
Which are some moderate and difficult treks near Pune?
Some of the most difficult yet adventurous treks near Pune are:1. Jivdhan Fort: It is a hill fort located in the JunnarTaluka of Maharashtra. This fort is not at all ideal for novice trekkers. There are misleading jungle trails and some hill patches that require a lot of mountaineering experience to cross. On some parts of the trek, you might also need to use ropes. Ideal for folks who want to experience extreme mountaineering experience and it is one of the best trekking near Pune.
2. Torna Fort: It is the highest fort in Pune and offers an amazing trekking experience. Novice trekkers should avoid the Torna trek unless they have some experienced trekkers with them.
3. Rajgad Fort: It is a fort located near Katraj. The height of Rajgad from sea level is 4250 feet and offers spectacular views of Sahyadri Mountains. One can see Sinhagad and Torna fort from Rajgad. Trekking feels fantastic during the monsoons but trekkers should take precautions as the route gets very slippery.
4. Harishchandragad Trek: It is the third highest and quite an ancient peak in Maharashtra. It is one of the most challenging treks in the Western Ghats. It is situated in the Malshej region of the ghats and is approximately 90 km away from Kalyan. The best time to trek Harishchandragad is when the monsoon is retreating i.e end of September and early October and it is one of the best trekking near Pune.
Can I do Kalsubai Peak Trek? Is it difficult to do?
Kalsubai trek is of medium difficulty but there are steel railings, chains and ladders at places where it is difficult to climb. To reach the summit, there are well-designated trekking routes.
The most popular route is through the eastern mountain face taking off from the base village Bari. A short distance away from the Bari river, a Hanuman Temple has been built. This provides an important landmark to commence the trek as well as a resting post for those nearing the final lap of their trek.
The route from behind this temple takes the hiker straight to the summit. The trek along this route is a mix of easy to ascend slopes as well as treacherous rocky outcrops overlooking the valley below.