Camping in Mussoorie adds its own charm and experiential joy to the romantic hill station of Uttarakhand. A famous honeymoon destination, the queen of the hills, and home to some of the most amazing views in Northern India, Mussoorie has an allure to itself that you will not find anywhere else. The valley that unfolds in front of you as you visit the different places of the hill station mesmerizes you to no end, with the surroundings taking on a different tone of green, blue, and white through different seasons.
To pitch your tent in one of the many famous Mussoorie camps is to open yourself to some of the most memorable and captivating experiences ever. And when you are dependent on your fellow campmates, you learn a lot about the basics of life. You make a lot of memories and learn to survive in the outdoors, all the while enjoying the nature, the sunrises, the sunsets, green meadows, and a starry sky. It can be something like a small picnic, a weekend getaway, a school tour, or just a time out with your loved ones, there is something for every requirement of any group, right here in Mussoorie.
Spread across the length and breadth of the hills, there are several great places to pitch your tents and enjoy the outdoor life. From the main Mussoorie region and the outskirts to the amazingness of smaller towns of Landour, Dhanaulti, and Kanatal, there are a number of places where you go for your dose of the fresh air of the outdoors and your fair share of adventure. From the majesty of places like Hathipaon, George Everest, Kempty Market, Library Chowk, Landour, Mall Road and many such localities of Mussoorie, you will be staying with a view of the valley and the town of Dehradun right in sight.
Camping in Mussoorie also takes you to nearby hill stations of Dhanaulti and Kanatal, one of which is known for its immense greenery and the tales of vampires, while the other is known for providing the most picture perfect view of the Himalayan Mountains.
And while camping in Mussoorie may seem like simple staying in tents, getting out to enjoy the scenes, bonfire, and stargazing, it has much more to offer. Alongside camping, many packages also offer adventure activities like trekking, hiking, rappelling, rock climbing, valley crossing, paragliding, boating, and safari. This detailed description of some of the best camping experiences in the hill station of Mussoorie will be all you need to plan your next vacation or getaway in the queen of the hills.
People Also Ask About Camping in Mussoorie
What are some of the best campsites in Mussoorie?
When it comes to Camping in Mussoorie, the best of accommodation and services are what attracts most of the travelers and guests. Here are a few names that you must surely consider while planning your Mussoorie Getaway.
- Mussoorie Adventure Camp: Located right in the Mussoorie Wildlife Sanctuary, some 3 km away from the main city, the Camp provides a stunning view of the Himalayas. The campsite is surrounded by forests of Deodar, Blue Pine, Oak, and Apple, making a perfect stay in nature. Also surrounded by towering peaks like George Everest and Binog Hill, the campsite is perfect for every season and for every kind of traveler.
- Camp George Everest: Housing deluxe tents alongside some of the most prominent and necessary features that make for a great campsite, Camp George Everest is run by a team of Naturalists, nature guides, Swimmers, adventurists, trekkers, and Pahari Chefs. This not only ensures that you get the best of services but also the best of memories. Apart from the amazing camping experience, the campsite also provides adventure activities like Valley Crossing, Rappelling, Rock Climbing, Parallel Rope, Rope Climbing, and much more.
- Winter Line Adventure Camp: With an experience of more than 5 years, the Winter Line Adventure Camp takes pride in their location, services, comfort, and facilities at the campsite. Owned by a rather talented and experience team themselves, the campsite has options for two and 4 sharing tents, and provides options for several adventure sports alongside local cuisines and breathtaking views. You can be a part of activities like trekking, Balancing Bridge, Rock Climbing, Valley Crossing, Cycling, and Rappelling.
- Camp Dhanaulti Magic near Mussoorie: Located between the hill stations of Mussoorie and Dhanaulti, this campsite is located in the midst of Apple Orchards. Camp Dhanaulti Magic is especially known for getting a good amount of Snowfall (sometimes 3 feet) during the months of December to March. Also, the campsite gives you the option to choose from Deluxe Tents and Bamboo Huts, gives you a varied field of emotions and experiences.
Where can I get camping gears in Mussoorie?
If you are looking for a perfect partner in Mussoorie camps, you can find decent enough gear at Mountcraft in Dehradun.
What is the best time to go camping in Mussoorie?
For everyone who loves the outdoors, the best time for camping in Mussoorie is definitely the months of April to May and September to November. Monsoon and peak winters are something that one must really avoid when it comes to camping or staying outdoors.
Which are the famous places to visit in Mussoorie?
Places to visit in Mussoorie have their own unique charm, just like the town of Mussoorie itself. Here are a few places you must definitely visit.
- Kempty Falls
- K Dev Bhoomi Wax Museum
- Mossy Falls
- Lake Mist
- Lal Tibba
- Shedup Choepelling Temple
- Gun Hill
- Library Chowk
- Jharipani Falls
- Benog Wildlife Sanctuary
- Mall Road
- George Everest's House
Do we have to take a permit to do camping in Mussoorie?
No, a permit is not required to camp in Mussoorie. However, a few places do charge an entry fee which must be paid in order to proceed with camping.
What adventure activities can I do in Mussoorie?
Nobody would want to just roam around looking at places when in a new place. Therefore these adventure activities will make sure that you have the best usage of your time when you are in Mussoorie.
- Zip Swings
- Rock Climbing and Rappelling
Is it safe to do camping in Mussoorie?
With the locals’ intervention, support, and maintenance, Mussoorie, is a perfectly safe place to enjoy camping at
What can I do in Mussoorie in a day?
There are many ways to answer the question which depends on the preference of every traveler. If you are someone who loves to explore the attractions in a city, then you can cover places like Kempty Falls, Lal Tibba, Mall Road, Library Chowk, Gun Hill, Cloud’s end, etc. in one day. There are a number of adventure activities that you can be a part of for an entire day like hiking, rock-climbing, paragliding, caving etc. Or you can take walking tours of the region and explore the shopping areas and the delicious food of Mussoorie.
Do we have to carry food while doing camping in Mussoorie?
Not necessarily. While you are enjoying at one of the Mussoorie camps, you do not need to, and also must not bring food with you, because there are chances that: 1) It will spoil, 2) it might attract wild animals. So instead, choose to carry energy bars, dry fruits, and snack items on the trip.
How to reach Mussoorie from Dehradun?
The two cities are connected via road only, which is about 35 km in length. You can take your own vehicle, hire a taxi or rent a vehicle to reach here. Taxis are considered to be the best, most efficient, and cost-effective way to cover the road.
What other things can I do in Mussoorie besides camping?
While camping in Mussoorie, here is a list of things you can do. Most of these are sometimes already added to your package with camping.
- Rock Climbing and Rappelling
- Zip Swings