What are the best things to do in Lonavala?
1. Trek at the Duke’s Nose: One of the most adventurous things to do at Lonavala is a trek at the Duke’s Nose that is a popular landmark hugely famous as a picturesque location and for hiking. Walking through the long forest trails once you reach the spot’s rocky outcrops, you are ought to get smitten by the panoramic views of the Sahyadri Range, dense jungles and splendid valleys.
- Location: Kurvande, Maharashtra 410402
2. Spend fun moments at the Imagica Adlabs: Your visit to Lonavala will be considered incomplete if you do not visit the popular recreation center and theme park of Imagica Adlabs. Here you get to have a whale of a time with your children as they listen to the elephant Tubby’s stories and hear Neera- the mermaid’s songs at the lagoon. You get to ride some of the most extreme water slides like Yell-O, Swirl Whirl, and the Splash besides crazy rollercoasters. Imagica Adlabs offers many other enthralling activities like magic shows, hip-hop dancing, live performances of acrobats, that cheer you up like no other.
- Location: No. 30 31, State Highway 92 near Lonavala, Sangdewadi, Khopoli, Maharashtra 410203
- Price: Weekdays: INR 1299 (adults), INR 1099 (Kids), INR 699 (senior citizens), INR 1149 (college goers)
- Weekends: INR 1499 (adults), INR 1299 (kids), INR 999, INR 999 (senior citizen), INR 1349 (college student)
- Timings: 11:00 AM - 9:00 PM (open all days) rides open till 8 PM
3. Trek up to the Lohagad Fort: Hiking through the rugged terrains you reach Lonavala's architectural marvel, Lohagad Fort. After a splendid trek you reach the top only to experience the scenic views of the entire town besides getting bewitched by the various artistry styles and carvings.
- Location: Lohagad Trek Road, Pune, Maharashtra 410406, India
4. Safari on a hot air balloon: Give your eyes the delight of a hot air balloon safari as you cross over the misty clouds and admire the beauty of the natural vistas. The beautiful birds flying along during the safari, views of nature's majestic displays, pearly waterfalls, and the forested hills are enough to woo you for life.
- Price: INR 12000
5. Trek up to the Rajmachi Fort: Filled with a myriad variety of fauna and flora the green painted fort of Rajmachi appears lush because of nature growing on it. You begin your trek from Tungari or from the Udhewadi base village and reach the top of the fort after resting at various points. The views of bubbly waterfalls, rocky mountains, and jungles will leave you pleasantly surprised. From the fort’s top you can catch the aerial views of the Ulhas river, Matheran, Bhimashankar, Mahuli, Karanala and the Duke’s Nose.
- Location: Udhewadi, Lonavala, Pune, Maharashtra, India
- Timings: 6:45 AM-4:00 PM
6. Hike to the Tiger’s Leap: A ferociously fun but moderately challenging trek has to be the trek up to Tiger’s Leap. This simple hike with family and friends is so enriching as at the end you find yourself surrounded by rocky terrains, lush green tropics on all sides. The unprecedented view of the valley below, the Western Ghats from the cliff top, with a sheer drop of more than 650 meters, is just perfect. This place is called the Tiger’s Leap as the place resembles a tiger leaping into the valley.
- Location: Tiger Point, Kurvande, Lonavala, Maharashtra 410205
7. Go chikki shopping: Do you have a sweet tooth? Well, then you cannot miss shopping for the fudges and chikkis popular in Lonavala. You are going to find dozens of showrooms and small shops selling these deliciously sweet nibble-worthy items. These chikis are available in a host of innovative flavors that include chocolate chikki, kesar, gulab (rose) chikki and others.
- Location: Gaothan, Siddharth Nagar, Lonavala, Maharashtra 410401
- Timings: 11:00 AM-8:00 PM
8. Explore the Bhaja Caves: For a history aficionado a visit to the Bhaja Caves is mandatory. These caves were built between the 3rd century BC and the 2nd century AD. Located very close to the Karla Caves, these 25 rock-cut Buddhist caves belong to Buddhism's Hinayana phase. As you begin exploring you will find a horseshoe-shaped archway leading you to the oldest chaitya grihas (prayer hall with stupa) inside. All the other 24 caves are viharas (residential caves). The 200 BCE carvings of a woman playing the tabla also hint at the percussion instrument’s history here. To unravel the layers of history, come explore the Bhaja Cave stupas that are relics of three monks Sang Edina, Dhammagiri, and Ampinika.
- Location: Bhaja Caves Road, District, near Bhaja Village, Maval, Lonavala, Maharashtra 412106
- Price: INR 15 for Indians and INR 200 for foreigners
- Timings: 8:00 AM – 6:00 PM
9. Camping at Pawna Lake: Drain out all your worries and stresses by making your wheels spin and reaching the spellbinding and riveting destination of Pawna Lake. Here you get to stay in lakeside camps, enjoy musical bonfires, and sumptuous breakfast besides the melodious sound of the chilly breeze and eye-catching views of the mountains. During a day camp at the lake, you can indulge in a plethora of outdoor games like archery, volleyball cricket besides kayaking, fort trekking, paragliding and boating.
- Location: Maval taluka, Pune district, Maharashtra, India
- Price: Starting from INR 1499
- Timings: 4 PM – 6 PM