Hidden away amid green hills at the heart of the island, Kandy is Sri Lanka’s second city and undisputed cultural capital of the island. Home to the Temple of the Tooth, the country’s most important religious shrine and other tourist places in Kandy. Esala Perahera, its most exuberant festival is the most prefered time for tourists coming in exciting Kandy tour packages . The last independent bastion of the Sinhalese has its own unique customs and culture which live on today in the city’s unique music, dance and architecture. The city maintains a somewhat aristocratic air, with its graceful old Kandyan and colonial buildings, scenic highland setting and pleasantly temperate climate. And although modern Kandy tour packages has begun to grow considerably, the breathtaking view of the surrounding hills and the lake at its centre ensure that the city hasn’t yet overwhelmed its scenic setting, and preserves at its heart a modest grid of narrow, low-rise streets which, despite the crowds of people and traffic, retains a surprisingly small-town atmosphere.
Some days Kandy’s skies seem perpetually bruised, with stubborn mist clinging to the hills surrounding the city’s beautiful centrepiece lake with best places to stay in Kandy being around the locality. Delicate hill-country breezes impel the mist to gently part, revealing colourful houses amid Kandy’s improbable forested halo. In the centre of town, three-wheelers careen around slippery corners, raising a soft spray that threatens the silk saris worn by local women. The city of imposing colonial-era and Kandyan architecture, none more impressive than the Temple of the Sacred Tooth Relic, one of Buddhism's most sacred shrines.
Popular Kandy Tour Packages
|Sri Lanka Tour Package For Family 2021 | Flat 28% off||5D/4N||₹ 22000||5.0 star|
|7 Days Sightseeing Tour of Sri Lanka - Flat 22% off||7D/6N||₹ 35000||5.0 star|
|4 Days Pocket-friendly Sri Lanka Tour Package - Flat 20% off||4D/3N||₹ 17000||5.0 star|
|Srilanka Tour Package from Kerala 2021 | Flat 15% off||7D/6N||₹ 24000||5.0 star|
|Srilanka Tour Package from Bangalore 2021 | Flat 24% off||6D/5N||₹ 27999||5.0 star|
People Also Ask About Kandy Tours
Which are the top shopping tours in Kandy?
Kandy is one of the best places to go shopping. It has a massive shopping mall full of high-class boutiques, several street markets where you can buy fresh fruits, and local shops selling original and high quality batik.
- Kandyan Art Association and Kandyan Cultural Centre:It is where you should head to buy local handicrafts such as wood Carvings, traditional Sri Lankan masks, stoneware, batiks, curios, silverware, brassware, paintings, antiques, handcrafted ornaments and jewelry
- Kandy City Centre: It is a huge ten storied shopping complex near Temple of Tooth.If you are looking to shop brands then this is the place you must head to for all your shopping needs.
- Waruna Antiques: It is one place where you will find interesting and valuable artifacts that you can take home as souvenirs for memories and your loved ones.
What are the best areas for a food tour in Kandy?
Sri Lanka is a great food destination for vegetarians, with a large amount of the nation's favourite dishes meat free like vegetable curries, hoppers, string hoppers, vegetable rotti and, of course, the incredible selection of fruit on offer.
A few must visit areas include:
- Kandy Muslim Hotel: Despite its title, the Muslim Hotel is not a hotel at all, but a small and lively eatery offering the best of traditional and hearty Sri Lankan cuisine for about INR 300-500 (USD 5-7) per person.
- Helga’s Folly: Located in the hills of peaceful and serene Kandy city, the kitschy and quirky boutique hotel Helga’s Folly is unique and serves some local authentic cuisine for about INR 800-1000 (USD 12-15) per person per meal.
- Kandy Garden Cafe: This tiny garden cafe serves the best Fast food, Asian, Sri Lankan, Vegetarian Friendly, Vegan Options and is a local favourite. Meal here is very cheap and will cost you about INR 250-500 (UD 3-5) only per person.
What are the top attractions on a sightseeing tour in Kandy?
Kandy is a perfect city to visit if you want to indulge yourself in the beautiful nature and culture Sri Lanka has to offer.
- Pinnawala Elephant Orphanage: Pinnawala is the place where abandoned elephants are raised and is a tourist attraction. Open from 8:30 AM to 5:30 PM. It costs only about INR 100 (USD 1.5) per person.
- Temple of Tooth Relic: World Buddhist Museum, Audience Hall, Alut Maligawa is a newer shrine to the rear of the temple with statues of Buddha donated by Thai devotees comprise the Temple of Tooth Relic and is a must visit for all the tourists which is open from 8 AM to 5 PM.
- Kandy Lake: Temple of Tooth Relic, boat rides in the lake, bird sightings, lizard monitoring, and tortoise spotting are all a part of the Kandy Lake. Coming here you are sure to have an amazing time. It is opened by from 7 AM to evening 7 PM.
Which are the best pilgrimage tours in Kandy?
Sri Lanka is known for its rich Buddhist culture and history and offers many places of religious and historic significance.
- Anuradhapura: A central Buddhist city, holding many Temples and Stupa. The city offers pilgrims a religious experience.
- Temple of Tooth Relic: Known as Dalda Maligawa is located in the city of Kandy. It is one of the most sacred Buddhist pilgrimage sites and houses the sacred tooth of Lord Buddha. Daily rituals are performed three times a day-at 4.30 AM, 10.30 AM and 6.30 PM.
- Kataragama: A popular place of pilgrimage for the Hindu, Buddhist, Muslim and indigenous Vedda communities of Sri Lanka and South India. The god Muruga is the main deity.
Which are the most romantic things to do on a honeymoon in Kandy?
Sri Lanka, a beautiful country filled with rich natural resources, charming landscape, beautiful architecture, stunning wildlife and many more.
- Bentota: It is a perfect beach destination for newlyweds. This is where the river Bentota Ganga and the sea merge into an exotic lagoon, a beautiful union perfect for an intimate time.
- Mirissa: One of the most romantic honeymoon places in Sri Lanka, dubbed as a tropical paradise, this crescent shaped secluded beach affords the tranquility and seclusion that honeymooners often seek.
Which are the best cultural experiences in Kandy?
Despite a long history of invasion by the Portuguese, Dutch and British, the strong cultural legacy lives on in Kandy with its generous offering of dance, music, museums and temples.
- Temple of the Tooth:The Buddha’s tooth was said to have been pulled out of the funeral pyre more than 2,500 years ago and eventually made its way to Sri Lanka. This place holds a lot of cultural importance of Kandy.
- Royal Palace and Museums: At the Royal Palace, the objects on display are only part of the attraction as the ornate architecture of the large complex itself is well worth a long look to get an insight into Kandy’s culture.
- Sigiriya: Sigiriya, a fifth century AD fortress and a water garden displays some of the most futuristic elements of landscaping and some of the oldest murals recorded in the country promising a view into Kandy’s culture and heritage.
What are the best wildlife tours in Kandy?
There are so many thrilling wildlife safaris you could choose from, and you will find that most are suitable for families. You'll see a lot of elephants and birds, be able to take lots of photographs, as well as experience our unique ever smiling mix of people and cultures.
- Yala Park: It is the 2nd largest wildlife park in Sri Lanka. The climate here is semi-arid with vast dry woodlands and open patches of grasslands and is divided into five blocks and offers amazing wildlife safari tours.
- Udawalawe National Park: It is known for its elephants. Loads of species of elephants can be seen in close quarters. A short drive from the Temple of Tooth, Kandy, the Udawatta Forest is truly a sanctuary. No cycling only walking. There is a small charge of INR 30 (USD 1.5) per adult.
What are the best heritage tours in Kandy?
Sri Lanka is one of Asia’s richest treasure troves of both natural and man-made wonders. Royal and sacred cities, colonial strongholds, temple caves and virgin forests with no fewer than seven World Heritage Sites in Sri Lanka declared and listed by UNESCO.
- The Sigiriya Rock Fortress: The legendary sky citadel of Sigiriya is located a short 15-minute drive away from the hotel. The majestic rock with its series of moats, ramparts and water gardens rises 200m above sea level and a pair of giant stone lion’s paws still remain at the entrance of the stairway, which leads to the rock’s summit.
- The ancient cities of Anuradhapura and Polonnaruwa: After an early breakfast at the hotel, you can opt to embark on an excursion to explore the ancient cities of Anuradhapura and Polonnaruwa.
Where can I go on scenic airplane tours of Kandy?
Scenic Flights in Sri Lanka is only offered by Cinnamon Air. It gives you 20 minutes of surreal bliss, covering the cities and towns of Colombo, Kandy and Sigiriya.
- Explore the grandeur and glory of the ancient city of Kandy and admire the surreal beauty of the Knuckles Mountain Range, Maduru Oya, Victoria, Galaha and Peradeniya as you take a journey to remember with Cinnamon Air.
- One of the most beautiful ancient treasures of the island is the Sigiriya Rock Fortress, which you will be able to admire from above as you take a scenic flight that covers Sigiriya Rock, Dambulla, Giritale, Hingurakgoda, Gal Oya and Habarana.