There are lots of fun things to do in Athens that will make you feel spoiled for your choices and will offer you the best experiences of a lifetime. From relishing the lip-smacking authentic cuisines at the lively restaurants like Psarras Tavern to shopping till the core of your heart at Athens Central Market, you'll never feel bored over here.
Athens is also renowned for its festivities and oozing parties that you must attend for once in a lifetime experience. If you're a night monger, then you can shake your hips at the happening night clubs and bars in Athens like Exarchia and Gazi that are known for hosting pulsating parties.
There are a plethora of activities in Athens that will pace up your adventurous streak and will offer you an otherworldly experience. You can take a tour of the Acropolis Museum and National Archaeological Museum to learn more about the rich past of this city.
You can even stroll around the Ermou and Adrianou that are adorned with various non-conventional architectural expressions. If you're a beach bum, then you can explore the famous beaches like Legrena beach and Varkiza Beach where you can enjoy various water sports activities, and you can even indulge in relaxing spa sessions.
There is no dearth of things to do in Athens with kids, such as having a picnic at the Old Royal Garden and enjoying various rides and games at Disneyland. So get ready to create special memories by indulging in these thrilling activities that will leave you delighted forever.
Places to Visit and Things to Do in Athens
People Also Ask About Athens Things To Do
Which are some of the best things to do in Athens?
1. See Hadrian's Library: The tour of Hadrian's Library is one of the best things to do in Athens as it is not a usual library where you can read books, but regular concerts and lecture sessions are also organized here. Earlier it functioned as a church, but now it has been transformed into a library where you can also find a small museum that houses year age-old books and manuscripts.
Location: Areos 3, 105 55, Attica, Athens.
Timings: 9 am-7 pm.
2. See The Beautiful Decorations at Little KooK: If you wish to relish the best cuisines at an Instagrammable place, then Little KooK should be your ideal choice. More than its food, people appreciate the wonderful decoration that makes it look like a glittering haven.
Whether it's Halloween or Christmas, the theme of decoration keeps on changing, and people get to see a new makeover of this café.
Location: 17 Karaiskaki Georgiou Psirri, Athens 105 54 Greece.
Price: 1497.600 for two people.
Timings: 10 am-12 pm.
3. Take a Street Art Tour: If you're an art enthusiast, then you should definitely take a street art tour in the Plaka area where you will witness dense graffiti colors over the grey walls.
This area is home to some of the best local and international local artists that play with messages, fresh ideas, and styles. You can also witness here underground pieces and classic artworks that will leave you totally awestruck.
Location: Athens 10556 Greece.
Price: 1497.600 for two people.
Timings: €40(3536) for adults & €30(2652) for kids.
4. Enjoy a Greek Coffee: This is one of the best activities in Athens that you must try if you wish to experience the coffee culture of Greece. Freddo cappuccino is one of the best coffee variants here that is not a regular coffee, but it is made with instant coffee, sugar, and water. Café Taf is one of the best places to sample the Greek coffee, and you can also enjoy here tons of other varieties of coffee.
Location: Emmanouil Benaki 7, Athens 10678 Greece.
Timings: 7 am to 9 pm.
5. Watch the changing of the guard: Considered to be one of the best activities in Athens, you should definitely watch the changing of the guards to know more about the rich culture and tradition of this city.
Every Sunday, this event takes place at the Parliament Building at Syntagma. The highly trained soldiers, also known as Evezone change their position in the presence of the monarch with the Royal Guards music band.
Location: Parliament House, (Megaro Voulis) 100 21 Athens, Greece.
Timings: 11 am.
6. Explore the central market: If you wish to stock up souvenirs for your friends and family members, then you should definitely explore the central market that is an outdoor market where you'll find vendors selling meat, fish, jewelry, and clothes. You can also buy handicrafts, footwear, and paintings over here at an affordable rate.
Location: Athinas 42, 999-20, Attica.
7. Climb to the Acropolis: Your tour to Athens can't be complete unless you see the alluring beauty of Acropolis that is an architectural masterpiece in Athens that sits on a hill.
From the top of the Acropolis, you can have an alluring view of the entire city. As you climb higher, you will witness Parthenon, which was built in ninety years and is known to be the birthplace of Western Civilization.
Location: Via Dionysiou Areopagitou str, Athens 105 58 Greece.
Timings: 8 am to 8 pm.
8. Enjoy the vistas of nature at The National Gardens: Appreciate the lush flora and fauna at The National Gardens that offer a scenic retreat from the hustle and bustle of the city-based life.
This beautiful garden is spread across sixteen acres of narrow gravel paths and has a small zoo, also where you can witness some of the best varieties of animals. It also has a pond where you can see peacocks and greek goats.
Location: Leoforos Amalias 1,10557, Attica.
Timings: 9 am to 7 pm.
Where can I enjoy nightlife in Athens and how safe is to go out in night?
1. Crawl through the pubs in Athens: This is one of the best activities in Athens that you must enjoy if you're a night owl. From bottomless sangria to the best wines, you can enjoy the best drinks as well as lip-smacking food during the pub crawl. Monastiraki and Koukaki are the best places to enjoy bar hopping in Athens.
2. Walking tour: This is another interesting activity that you must enjoy to discover the hidden gems of Athens. During this tour, you will also get a chance to sample the local delicacies and enjoy the panoramic view of the city.
3. Attend a concert at Athens Concert Hall: To have the best nightlife experience in Athens, you should definitely watch a show at the Athens Concert Hall that is a stunning venue known for its excellent acoustics. You can also enjoy classical music, ballet, opera, and theatre performances.
4. Wine tasting tour: If you're a wine lover, then you should definitely be a part of the wine tasting tour to taste the Greek wine. The Acropolis of Athens is the best place to enjoy this tour while hearing the tales of Dionysus.
Which are most romantic things to do in Athens during honeymoon?
1. Enjoy a romantic stroll at the Cultural Park: Enjoy a leisurely stroll with your partner in this beautiful park that is known for its lush flora and fauna and blooming flowers. You can also witness here art exhibits and take a ride in the park on ponies or donkeys.
2. Watch the sunset from Aeropagita Hill: Watching the sunset from Aeropagita Hill with your better half is considered to be one of the most romantic activities in Athens. Grab a drink or snack in your hand and see the sky changing hues from blue to orange and gold to red during the evening.
3. Enjoy drinks at the rooftop bar: This is one of the best things to do in Athens for honeymoon seekers who are wishing to turn their vacation into the memory of a lifetime. You can enjoy some local mezze or a fancy gourmet meal at the rooftop restaurants that offer an incredible view of the Acropolis.
4. Enjoy a treatment at the traditional hammam: Enjoy some sweet treats and a glass of green tea while enjoying a serene steam bath at the traditional hammam that have many private rooms and spacious baths.
What are the things to do in Athens with kids?
1. Explore the traditional neighborhoods: This is one of the best things to do in Athens with kids to discover the hidden gems of this city and socialize with the local merchants. Plaka is one such bustling neighborhood where you can witness the neoclassical buildings and have a cup of Greek coffee.
2. Witness the exotic animals at Animal World: One of the best things to do in Athens with kids is witnessing more than three-fifty species of animals at the Animal World. You can also witness here exotic fauna, and the kids can play in the playground that has a climbing castle and swings.
3. Enjoy a food tour: Give your child a luscious treat by being a part of the food tour where you'll get to sample some of the best local cuisines in Athens. From ice creams to sweet treats and mocktails to cakes and pizza, your kids will get to have all their favorite delicacies here, making it one of the best things to do in Athens with kids.
4. Sail along the coast of Athens: Put on your swimwear and take a splash into the stunning beaches of Athens that are known for their crystal clear water and low current.
What can you do in Athens for free?1. Witness the artifacts on display at Acropolis Museum: This is one of the best things to do in Athens with kids if you and your child wish to know more about the rich history of the city. You can witness here more than three thousand artifacts and grab a coffee at the restaurant located here.
2. Enjoy a picnic at National Gardens: Another interesting activity that you can enjoy for free in Athens is enjoying a picnic at National Gardens that is home to lush flora and fauna and blooming flowers.
3. Enjoy a game at Panathenaic Stadium: This is one of the best activities that you must try if you're a sports history buff and want to enjoy your favorite game. This is a huge stadium where the Modern Olympic Games were held and has a capacity of six thousand spectators.
4. Climb the Lycabettus Hill: Climbing the Lycabettus Hill is considered to be a thrilling activity as you'll get to enjoy stunning views from the top of the hill. On the top, you'll find an open-air theatre where you can witness many cultural performances.
Which are the best places to shop in Athens?1. Gusto Di Grecia: This is a delicatessen shop that specializes in selling genuine traditional Greek products and the best brand of olive oil. Other interesting specialties that you can buy here include dried figs, chalvas, and almond pastries.
2. Free Shop: This is an Avant garde boutique that houses a sophisticated collection of fashion wear and other high-end accessories. The brands that you can find here include Balenciaga, Margiela, Maison Martin, Acne, and Pierre Hardy.
3. Ermou Street: This is a shopping paradise in Athens where you can find English-owned stores as well as the international beauty retailers. The collection here includes jewelry, clothing, accessories as well as footwear.
4. The Plaka: This shopping district is known for its vast array of souvenir shops that sell everything under the sun at the best prices. It also has some of the best cafes and restaurants where you can relish tasty cuisines.
Which are must see historical sites in Athens?
1. Temple of Hephaestus: Designed by Ictinus in the fifth century, this is one of the most well-preserved Greek temples in the entire world. It is dedicated to Hephaestus, who is the God of fire and metalworking.
2. The Erechtheion: Named after a shrine dedicated to Erechtheion, who was an Athenian hero, this temple is one of the most renowned architectural sites in Athens. It has six caryatids that have female figures on it and serves as columns.
3. Agios Georgios Church: Located on Lycabettus Hill, this whitewashed Greek orthodox chapel was built in the eighteenth century and is dedicated to Zeus. You can access the chapel either by a funicular or by foot.
4. Roman Agora: This is a Roman landmark that was built in the first century and served as a spot for political gatherings. Currently, cultural exhibitions and scientific workshops are held here.
What are the best adventure activities in Athens?1. Scuba diving in Thessaloniki: Discover the underwater species as you enjoy scuba diving at the beaches of Thessaloniki that are known for their crystal clear water and a wide variety of marine life. While enjoying this activity here, you can also enjoy underwater shooting by paying some additional charge.
2. Hiking: This is another adrenaline rushing activity that you must try above Porto Rafti that is known for having the best trails for both experienced as well as novice hikers. While hiking here, you'll enjoy the sweeping views of the lush green valley, and you'll also get a chance to interact with the locals.
3. Horse riding: There are few centers and farms for horse riding located around thirty to forty kilometers from the main city of Athens, where you can enjoy this adrenaline-rushing sport. While riding the horse on the green pastures, you'll feel an instant adrenaline kick.
How can I reach Athens?- By Flight: Athens is well connected by flight to all the major countries in the world. Athens International Airport operates both domestic as well as international flights connecting different countries.
- By Cruise: Cruise is another great option to reach Athens from the Mediterranean countries. Various ferries operate from Venice, Cyprus, Egypt, etc.
What is Athens famous for?Athen is famous for several things including:
1. Acropolis: This is an ancient citadel that houses the remains of various ancient buildings of architectural and historic significance such as the Parthenon.
2. Aegina: This is a renowned island that is famous for its picture-perfect sunsets and multicoloured cliffs.
3. Ancient Agora: It comprises a set of buildings where great thinkers Socrates, Protagoras, and poets would meet to voice their concerns and discuss their thoughts on various issues.
4. Greek Coffee: Made with finely powdered coffee beans Greek coffee is one of the staple drinks in Athens that you should definitely try.
Which is the offseason in Athens?The end of September to April is the off-season in Athens, and during this time the rate of flights and accommodation are considerably low.
How many days are enough in Athens?Five days are enough in Athens to explore its splendid attractions and enjoy various outdoor activities.
- On the first day you can visit the Acropolis Museum and you can sample some local wine.
- Dedicate your second day for Athens food tour where you’ll get to try the local delicacies at the best restaurants and street shops.
- On the third day you can visit the The Temple of Poseidon and Athens Riviera.
- Your fourth day will be dedicated to museum-hopping and you’ll visit the Museum of Cycladic Art, the Byzantine and Christian Museum and the Benaki Museum.
- On the fifth day you’ll head up to Mount Lycabettus that offers an incredible view of the city.
Which are the famous places to see the art & culture of Athens?1. Rebecca Camhi Gallery: This is a neoclassical two story building on Leonidou Street that aims to promote contemporary art forms through the presentation of the works by the international artists.
2. Gagosian Athens: Specializing in contemporary and modern arts this art gallery gives the visitors an opportunity to admire the work of international artists.
3. Parthenon: This is an iconic structure in the Acropolis that was built as a tribute to the goddess Athena. It is embellished by some of the most majestic sculptures and designs that make it a breathtaking example of Greek architecture.
4. Roman Agora: This is an iconic building with a spacious courtyard and beautiful columns. It served as the main market of Augustus and Caesar.
Which are the most famous destinations in Athens for couples?1. Aegina: This is a part of the Saronic Islands where the couples can enjoy various water sports activities like diving, swimming and scuba diving, and they can also relish seafood at the beach shacks.
2. Theatre of Dionysus: Enjoy a classical performance or ballet dance at this theatre that has seating capacity for seventeen thousand people and is dedicated to Dionysus.
3. National Garden: Express your love for your partner in this beautiful garden that is known for its lush greenery and splendid landscapes. You can also spot here flowerbeds, Greek goats, and peacocks.
4. Museum of Cycladic Art: If you and your partner are the lovers of art, then you must visit this museum that houses more than three thousand artifacts and old-age paintings.
Which are the famous places to eat at night in Athens?1. Eddies Calzones: If you're looking to have the best post- downtime meal, then you should definitely stop by this restaurant that remains open until 4 am and offers the best Steak n' Tater, Sausagefest, Lasagna, and dessert calzones.
2. Takorea: Located close to Bourbon street, this is the best place to enjoy food late at night. Their lively vibe and wide food selection will definitely leave you coming back for more whenever you're over here.
3. The Grill: This exotic restaurant remains open 24 hours and is known to serve the best fries and classic cheeseburgers that taste extremely amazing.
4. Little Italy: Whether you're looking for pizza or a glass of refreshing drinks at night hours, this restaurant will not fail to impress you. The best thing is that they use only fresh ingredients to prepare their dishes.
Which are the best cafes and coffee shops in Athens?1. Mind The Cup: This is a lively café with bright decoration and neon lights where you can sample the authentic Greek coffee and sweet treats along with cold-brewed drinks.
2. Little Tree Books And Coffee: If you're looking for a cozy corner where you can grab a cup of coffee and read your favorite book, then Little Tree Books And Coffee should be your ideal choice. You can sample here more than thirty varieties of cold-brewed as well as hot coffee variants.
3. Mr Bean Coffee Brewers: Named after the famous television character Mr. Bean this coffee shop has a welcoming vibe, and they are especially known for their pastries along with diverse varieties of coffees.
4. The Underdog: This is an extremely renowned coffee roastery as well as a bar known for their specialty sweet treats, snacks and coffees. The best thing about their coffees is that they roast the beans by themselves until they get the best flavors.
What are some famous beach activities in Athens?
Athens’ calm and coastal life is also quite famous. You get to witness a lot of beaches and popular beach activities in Athens throughout the year. Some of the famous beaches include –
All these beaches offer many beach activities which keep you engaged and active. Some of the famous beach activities include –
Coastal Bike tour
Apart from these, some of the best things to do in Athens’ beaches could be some outdoor sports too.
Which are best places for scuba diving in and around Athens and what are the charges?
Two of the best things to do in Athens are scuba diving and snorkelling. You can specify on scuba diving more since it is done by almost every visitor in Athens. Some of the best places for a fun scuba diving are –
Free Dive Greece
Sotiriou Diving Center
These places do not charge more than needed. For one person, you can expect the charge to be around $108.
Which are best places for snorkeling in and around Athens and what are the charges?
Snorkelling is one of the best things to do in Athens. What have you done if not been on a snorkelling activity while on a trip to Athens? Okay, for the best places for snorkelling, the suggestions are –
Free Dive Greece
Sotiriou Diving Center
If you are worried about the charges, you must know that the charges would be in and around $100. It could be more, according to your preferences. If you want to do basic snorkelling, you need not worry about the price much.
Which all places can be seen during Athens electric bike tour?
Athens’s electric bike tour is one of the most famous bike tours in Athens. People go for these bike rides for 3 to 4 days. Some bikers prefer the time of sunset for these amazing bike rides. These bike tours are done especially to enjoy the scenic beauty of Athens. So, you must know about the important places that these electric bike tours cover –
The Temple of Zeus
The Restaurant of Plaka
Which are some of the best cruise trips in Athens?
Cruising is a great activity which is very famous throughout Athens. You can try out cruising but you should be careful with the place where you are enrolling for a cruising experience. One of the best things to do in Athens in cruising and you should be careful while doing it –
Hydra, Poros and Egina Day Cruise
Poseidon Temple to Sounio Cape Cruise
Aegina Island to Athens Cruise
Athens Riviera Cruise
Go for these cruise trips and have the time of your life.
Which are must visit sites in Athens during sightseeing trip of Athens?
Athens is a great place for sightseeing. Even so, most people tend to visit Athens for the amazing places and scenic beauty it offers while sightseeing. The best things to do in Athens should definitely cover sightseeing. Some of the most popular places include –
Temple of Hephaestus
Museum of Cycladic Art
Herod Atticus Odeon
Where can I go for island hopping in Athens?
There are many island hopping tours in and around Athens which offer complete enjoyment and relaxation to you and your family. Some of the best island hopping tours in Athens include –
Athens – Paros Island tour
Athens – Mykonos Island tour
Athens – Santorini Island tour
Athens – Naxos Island tour
Athens – Corfu Island tour
Athens – Rhodes Island tour
Athens – Crete Island tour
Athens – Ios Island tour
You can also take trips to two or three of these islands at one go. Plan your trip according to your convenience.