About Vetal Tekdi
Vetal Hill is popularly known as Vetal Tekdi. It is one of the most famous places amongst the locals residing in Pune. Fitness freaks frequent Vetal Hill quite often for either an early morning walk, jog, trek or to cycle. Situated just 10km from Pune railway station, it is easily accessible by road. Vetal Hill is one of the highest points in Maharashtra at an elevation of 2600ft. This is a perfect place for a family picnic, photography, birding or just an outing along with friends on a weekend.
The forest officials have constructed a deck at the top of the hill which offers a spell-bounding landscape of mother nature. Vetal Hill is a popular tourist destination which has a rich flora and fauna along with small lakes, colourful birds, green in every shade and a breathtaking view of the surroundings.
The hill is dotted with chirping birds, peacock, rabbits, falcons and colourful butterflies. Apart from the famous Vetal temple the Chaturshringi temple too finds its place here.
One has to scale close to 100 steps to offer prayers to goddess Chaturshringi along with other gods and goddesses. Birders frequent this place to spot colourful birds like robin, francolin, minivet, bulbuls and many more. Spend a weekend with friends and family at the gorgeous Vetal hills surrounded by fluttering butterflies, chirping birds and distant echo from nearby villages.
An early morning trek to Vetal Hill is highly recommended to witness the gorgeous sunrise. Vetal Hill has a temple at the top of the hill dedicated to the goddess Vetala. Thus the mountain has been named after the temple worshipping the goddess.
How to Reach Vetal Tekdi
By Rail: The nearest railway station from Vetal Hill is Pune station. One can take any Pune bound train and then board a bus to Vetal Hill which is a mere 10km from the Pune railway station.
By Road: Vetal hill is on Pashan road which is well within the city limits thus can be approached by road either from the Panchavati side or Kothrud side. If travelling by car, use the Paud route, as there is a place to park cars.
By Bus: Several buses ply to Pune. One can get down at Pashan and trek along the hill.
Other Essential Information About Vetal Tekdi
Location; Pashan, Pune 411038, Maharashtra, India.
Timings: 5.00am – 6.00pm every day.
Entry Fee: Rs.230/- per child and Rs. 300/- per adult during the weekends.
Height: 2600 ft on the western ghats.
Best Time: Vetal Hill can be visited at any time of the year. Though visitors, especially nature lovers prefer the monsoon season to visit the hills. The monsoon months, between July to November are the best time to get close to nature in its myriad shades of green.
Average Temperature: Temperature at Vetal Hill is pleasant and it varies between 19 – 25 degrees celsius.
Distance from Pune: Vetal Hill is approximately 8km from Pune which takes close to 30 minutes by road to reach.
Transportation: Vetal Hill can be easily approached through road as it is close to Pune railway station. There is a parking lot with ample parking space near Vetal hill. One has to park their vehicles and walk up the trail and enjoy the trek passing through gorgeous greens, lakes while enjoying the breathtaking views.
Medical Facilities: The nearest hospital is the Military Hospital in Pune near Hills range which offers exemplary medical services.
Network Connectivity: The network connectivity is fairly good at Vetal Hill as it is within city limits. Thus, offering good network connectivity for all service providers.
Traveller's Tips for visiting Vetal Hill:-Check out the route for trekking before you start for the trip.
-Be careful to trek during monsoon and winter months as the track gets slippery and the weather, foggy.
-There have been incidents of fire, be careful to douse fire pits if any.
-Plan your trek well so that you can return before it is dark, as there are no street lights.
-Do not disturb or destroy the flora and fauna of the place.
-Wear comfortable clothing and footwear to scale the hill.
-Avoid very early mornings and late evenings after it gets dark.
Things to Carry for Hiking to Vetal Hill:
-Carry light snacks and water to keep yourself hydrated.
-Use insect repellants to ward off bugs and insects.
-Carry your camera/mobile to shoot magnificent landscapes from the peak.
-Carry a sun hat to protect yourself from the harsh sun rays.
-Carry rainwear in case you are visiting during the monsoon.
Attractions and Activities at Vetal Hill:1. Yoga: Fitness freaks from the neighbouring areas have made Vetal hill their favourite den especially during the weekends to indulge in a few hours to rejuvenate the body and mind. Apart from yoga, visitors indulge in walking, jogging, cycling, hiking and running. The fresh air of the hills does magic to the body and makes it even more refreshing.
2. Birding: Vetal hill is a famous place amongst the birding community. Birders visit the hill early in the morning to catch the sight of rare and exotic birds in their natural habitats. Bulbuls, parrots, francolins, robins, green bee-eaters, White-browed Wagtail, Tickell’s blue flycatcher and many more can be abundantly found frolicking here.
Other Important Information:
Places to Eat:
There are quite a few restaurants close to Vetal hill on Senapati Bapat Marg.
2. Alto – Vino: This Italian restaurant serves mouth-watering delicacies like pizza, spaghetti and pasta. It also has elaborate options for vegetarians and also has a gluten-free menu for it guests. Their Tiramisu deserves a special comment.
3. Pune baking Company: This is one of the best bakeries close to Vetal Hill, which offers a warm and cosy ambience. You are greeted by the aroma of freshly baked muffins and croissants. One of the best places to have a good conversation over coffee and cupcakes.
4. Shakahari: As the name suggests, this is a vegetarian restaurant serving royal Indian cuisine from every part of the country. The specially curated vegetarian menu has the best of dishes carefully handpicked from several regions. Visit Shakahari for an appetizing and royal treatment.
5. Anna’s Idli: A humble south-Indian restaurant serving the true blue south Indian delicacies in a homely way. Light on the pocket, one can relish crispy medu wadas, crunchy dosas and soft idlis to satiate their hunger.
6. Yin-Yang: Yin-Yang specializes in Oriental food ranging from Sushi to pan-fried noodles and dim sums to exotic soups. Rare and exotic dishes like the Balinese curry rice, Khow Shwey, tamarind soup and a few other special dishes draw the majority of food lovers during the weekend.