Other Essential Information About Rhein Fall
The Rhine Falls is located in northern Switzerland, on the High Rhine river.
Entry fee: There is no entry fee for the Rheinfall. However, if you choose to rent a canoe or take a boat ride, you will be required to purchase a ticket.
Opening hours: The Rhine Falls is open 24 hours a day, 365 days of the year.
Distance from Zürich Airport: The Rhine Falls is located at a distance of 26 km from the Zurich airport.
Restaurants in Rheinfall
1. Schlössli Worth
Located on the north bank of the waterfall, the Schlössli Worth boasts of a spectacular view. This lounge-style restaurant with floor-to-ceiling windows offers market-fresh cuisine with the best local wines.
2. Cafe Muhleradhaus
Famous for its wide variety of soups and barbeque, you will not be disappointed with Cafe Muhleradhaus. Located strategically in order to provide its customers with an impressive view of the falls, this cafe offers a wide variety of beer and wine as well.
If you are in the mood for fine dining, head over to Sommerlust. Located in the famous Schaffhausen, it offers European and Central European cuisine, with a variety of gluten-free and vegetarian options as well.
4. Taverne Nohlbuck
If you are looking for a place to try out the local cuisine without causing too much of a dent to your pocket, Taverne Nohlbuck is worth a visit. Choose from their wide variety of Swiss fare. You will definitely enjoy sipping on the in house wines while lounging in their beautiful terrace overlooking the river.
5. Schloss Laufen am Rheinfall
Combine a fine dining setting with some well-curated meals by a chef who studied in France and you get Schloss Laufen am Rheinfall. Do not forget to try their Wiener Schnitzel, which is a Swiss delicacy.
6. Beckenburg Das Restaurant
Known for their quick and efficient service, Beckenburg Das Restaurant is a must-visit if you are looking for a good place to have lunch. You can choose from their vast menu, which offers European, Central European, and Swiss cuisines. They are also known for their reasonably priced local wines and customers swear by the Hedinger Sauvignon Blanc and the Dichterwii Pinot noir that you get over there.
7. Lang's Cafe
If you have a sweet tooth, Lang’s Cafe will quickly make a place for itself in your heart. This cozy little cafe will greet you with rows and rows of neatly laid out chocolates, along with other sweet fares such as lemon cakes and tarts. Not to forget their deliciously brewed coffee.
Places to Stay near Rheinfall
1. Hotel Kronenhof
Located in the heart of the beautiful Schaffhausen, Hotel Kronenhof boasts of stylish, yet reasonably priced rooms. It also sports an in-house cafe restaurant and a steakhouse. A stone's throw away from the Munot fortress, the Allerheiligen monastery and the Rhine Falls, it is also famous for its market-fresh cuisine.
2. Hotel Rheinfall
Just as the name suggests, Hotel Rheinfall is conveniently located close to the mighty waterfall. If you are driving down to the hotel, they offer you free parking as well. Do not forget to check out their Asian restaurant, Little India, which is popular among tourists and locals alike.
3. Hotel Park Villa
A romantic hotel with high windows and beautiful gardens, Hotel Park Villa is sure to capture your heart. Located near all the major attractions in the area, Hotel Park Villa will make your stay hassle-free. What's more, this pet-friendly hotel will welcome your furry friends with open arms!
4. Hotel Edelweiss
Situated in central Neuhausen, Hotel Edelweiss offers a restaurant with a garden terrace just a 10-minute walk away from the Rhine Falls. If you are looking for a budget hotel without compromising on the view, Hotel Edelweiss is a good match for you. The rooms are simple and clean with an unrivaled view.
5. Zak Hotel & Backpackers
Located just 0.5 km from the Rhine Falls, Zak Hotel & Backpackers is every backpacker's dream. If you want to do some shopping and explore the wineries in the country-side, Zak Hotel & Backpackers is the perfect place to stay. They also have a restaurant right underneath the hotel and is very close to the train station.
Tips on visiting Rheinfall
- The months of May and June are considered to be the best time to visit the Rheinfall as the water peaks at this time.
- While visiting the falls, be prepared to get wet, especially if you choose to take a boat ride. Do not forget to carry an extra pair of clothes or a raincoat.
- Make sure that you wear sturdy, non-slippery shoes so that you are comfortable.
- The Neuhausen am Rheinfall entrance on the north side of the falls is wheelchair friendly. Wheelchair users can drive right down to the Rhine Falls basin, and avail the elevator service to directly reach the boating space.
- If you are planning to visit the falls via train, make sure that you get down at Schloss Laufen am Rheinfall or Neuhausen Rheinfall, which are the closest stops to the waterfall.
- If you are visiting the falls in the evening, ensure that you stay on to see the Rheinfall illuminated in different colours after dusk. It is an experience you definitely don't want to miss!
- Although the Rhine Falls is in Switzerland, you can easily pay in Euros.
- Buying food and drinks at the falls may prove to be too expensive. However, you can have your own barbeque in the picnic area on the Northern Bank which sports a grill and a fire pit.