About Deira ClocktowerLocated in eastern Dubai, this is a popular roundabout which has become an iconic tourist attraction. It was built to symbolise Dubai as it was the point of convergence of all major routes to Dubai before the Dubai-Abu Dhabi road was constructed. Built-in 1965, this prominent tourist place surrounding the Al Rigga district Dubai offers access to the Al-Maktoum bridge which is the first land passageway between Dubai and Deira. This clocktower holds immense importance among the locals who have a number of stories to tell about it. It is often hailed as one of the 17 most beautiful clock towers in the world. Deira Clocktower is one of the oldest monuments of Dubai which was created by architect Edgar Bublik.
This clocktower served as one of the main routes for the travellers and visitors who used to cross their way to the deserts through this roundabout as no other route offered access for transportation in the 1960s. However, the structure of the tower was weak lacking concrete and having cracks. It was rebuilt in 1989 to cover up the old construction problems and incorporate the latest technology. The clocktower now boasts of GPS equipped devices for time accuracy and latest omega clocks fixing the defects of the old clock tower.
This notable piece of architecture in Dubai has been a symbol of Dubai for fifty years now and stands testimony to the incredible changes that the city has gone through. Built as an icon to celebrate the city’s oil exports and trade, Dubai Clocktower is a globally renowned monument of the city. The clocktower offers a delightful visit with its beautiful surroundings that comprise of water fountains, palm trees and lit up evenings. A must-visit for architecture and engineering lovers, the clocktower in Dubai leaves a lasting impression with its unique white structure.
How to Reach Deira Clocktower1. By Metro: If you are taking the Dubai Metro, the nearest metro station is Al-rigga on red line. From there, it is just 10 minutes away on foot.
2. By Bus: One can take any of the buses which run under the name of Emirates Express and can be accessed by any of the bus terminals in Dubai.
3. By own transport: If you are not taking public transportation, Deira Clocktower can be accessed by hailing a cab or taxi from the airport.
Best Time to Visit Deira ClocktowerThe months from November to April are the best time of the year to visit Deira Clocktower. This is the time when the weather is cool and pleasant in Dubai and attracts visitors. This is the most ideal time to indulge in delightful sightseeing at Deira Clocktower for the tourists.
What Not to Miss at Deira ClocktowerSome of the popular places to visit near Deira Clocktower are:
1. Jaffer Bhai: This is one of the popular restaurants which is famous for serving Mughlai, Chinese and Indian cuisine. Jaffer Bhai is a nice spot to grab a quick bite for lunch or dinner and have their famous biryani to treat your taste buds.
2. Absolute Barbeque: This is an eating spot located near Deira Clocktower which is known for delicious kebabs, Indian and continental cuisine. It is a leading casual dining restaurant in Deira where one can enjoy their innovative DIY grilling concept while gorging on mouthwatering food.
3. Yellow Chilli: This is one of the favourite places near Deira Clocktower to grab a meal in North Indian and Chinese cuisine. Yellow Chilli is famous for its biryanis and known for its friendly and courteous staff.
4. Tayeb Kitchen and Restaurant: This eatery is located at Al Maktoum Street and should be visited to taste their finger-licking biryanis and chicken items. It is famous for its prompt service and has reasonably priced items which attract a lot of crowd.
5. Rustar Floating Restaurant: This is a popular wooden dhow where you can enjoy cruising on Dubai creek while partying with your folks. The place offers amenities like a luxurious five-star restaurant where you can appreciate the typical Arab design and savour a nice meal. Some of the striking features of Rustar Floating Restaurant include its small rock waterfall and its antique design.
6. Museum of Illusions: This is a famous museum near Deira that is dedicated to the world of trickery and illusions. The unique museum evokes intrigue in your brains to crack the illusions and offers an unforgettable experience as you can choose among different illusionary adventures.
7. Twin Towers Shopping Mall: One of the perfect venues for shopping near Deira Clocktower is the Deira Clocktower. It is known to host Furs District where you can shop for specialised furs and leather products. Along with that, there are many well-known eateries and upscale shopping venues located here.
Other Essential Information About Deira ClocktowerLocation: The Clocktower is located in eastern Dubai in Deira, at the intersection of Umm Hurair Road and route D 89.
Timings: It is open 24 hours.
Price: It has free entry for both locals and foreigners.
Tips for Visiting Deira Clocktower
- One should be careful while taking photographs and make sure to ask their permission before you start clicking.
- One should not indulge in drinking and driving as public drunkenness is strictly prohibited in Dubai.
- One should dress respectfully and pay honour to the local customs as Dubai is a Muslim country which follows traditional values.